Monday, December 31, 2007

Brooklyn. I didn’t wanna leave.

I have never experienced the true meaning of a gentleman till I came to New York.
Everyone was really nice, the girls were sweet and bubbly and a lot of fun, which is no different from my girlfriends here in Canada.
It was the guys who impressed me.
Not once did I pay for a single meal, drink or cab ride while I was there.
And we took cabs everywhere. I honestly was speechless. Even if I offered they refused.
At first I figured it would last for a day or two since I was new there but it never changed, all the way up till the second I left. I didn’t even have to take a train to port authority when it was time to go home, one of my friends paid for a cab ride there, came with me, carried my bags, and made sure I got on the bus safely.
It wasn’t just the fact that they paid for everything it was the way they were towards me; I have never had boys treat me so kindly.

Guys in Canada should take a few tips from these kids. Although these are dear friends of mine, it wasn’t just them; even their friends who I just met on this trip were nice like that. They were all always asking how I was doing in the “how you doin?” New Yorker way, offering to carry my bags when I went shopping and not taking ‘no, I’m fine’ for an answer, opening doors, and constantly just being pure gentlemen, the way men should be.

I’m just glad there are still some good ones out there who know how to treat a lady the right way, regardless if they are dating you or not, or if they want to get in your pants or not. They just treat you right because that’s the way women should be treated. I wasn’t used to it at all because that just doesn’t really happen for the most part here in Canada. I mean, I’m sure there are the select few gentlemen left, but the majority of guys aren’t like that at all unfortunately. It honestly has nothing to do with the money either, or them paying for stuff, I mean that’s really nice, but I could care less if I had to pay for myself all the time. It more has to do with the way you are treated, the way someone acts towards you. It’s hard to explain but there is such a difference.

Also the group of friends I hung out with the whole time there seemed so close knit and so caring, you could see that they took care of each other. It wasn’t all about selfishly paying for yourself and being as cheap as possible. Instead, everyone fought to pay for each other. They partied and had fun, but in the end they really looked out for each other. I just find that here in Winnipeg everyone looks out for themselves. There are the few that look out for others but it’s rarer to find; whereas, everyone in this group of friends I hung out with from the greenpoint/Williamsburg Brooklyn area, looked out for each other. It’s just different. I can’t explain once again. I guess I expected going to New York that it would be completely the opposite, but it wasn’t.


Anyway, back to my trip. I had to take a bus to New York from Toronto and back because I stupidly forgot to renew my passport so I could only go to New York by land. By the time I realized it, it was too late to renew my passport so I flew to Toronto from Winnipeg, hung out with my family and old friends for a few days, then bused to NY, hung out for a week, bused back to Toronto, spent the night, then flew back to Winnipeg the next day. I’m super sick now. I think Its because one day it was pouring rain in NY, we went to lower Manhattan for dinner at the south street seaport, which by the way is beautiful. I was wearing a small dress and heels, I didn’t know it was raining till I stepped outside and by then I didn’t wanna go back inside and change. I got really cold that night and the next day I started to feel sick. I have a super sore throat and it hurts so badly to swallow or talk. I called in sick for one day of work but now I’m back at work. I hope I feel better soon. Either way, I don’t care; New York was an amazing time. My friends told me it was pretty dead because it was Christmas time and normally it’s packed everywhere. I didn’t care it was a blast. I’m going back for the 4th of July and I cannot wait.


This was really long.
I’ll leave you with a completely unrelated yet fantastic quote by Thomas McGuane.
“To me, to live without dogs would mean accepting a form of blindness.”

HAPPY NEW YEAR!


Shawni

Photobucket

1 Comments:

Blogger lionamelie said...

I'll show you.

1:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home