Saturday, October 13, 2007

this is a long one.

So It seems, almost, as if in order to not waste time while in school or spend unnecessary money you need to know exactly what it is you want to do or be before you even enter university. Otherwise you might end up taking a whole bunch of unnecessary courses or getting a degree you will end up not using.
Unfortunately, I entered school not sure what I would do or what I wanted to be. I just figured going into university was a smart choice. I started with my electives. I ended up choosing psychology as a major because well for one it interested me and two I wanted to get into either animal behaviorism or child psychology; since psychology is the study of human and animal behavior that seemed like the right choice of degree.
Well I unwisely figured I’d only need my three year BA. So I made no plans to get my masters. Now that I am just about done my three year BA I realized I would really like to continue school and get my masters in psychology so I can continue to maybe even get my PHD in child psych. Well, of course, you need your 4 year honors degree to get into any type of masters program, so basically I’m screwed.
I just read a 43 page booklet which explains what you need to do and what classes to take and when to take them in order to be able to successfully enter grad school. It says do NOT take all your 4th year honors courses in the last year, which is what I would be doing, since I hadn’t taken any for my 3 yr BA. And it says to take the research and data analysis advanced course in your third year, which I can’t do as I am done my 3rd year in 8 weeks or so.
There is no way I’d be able to work (which I have to do as I don’t live at home) and take all 4th year honors courses in one year and still get grades good enough to be accepted into grad school. I feel so upset and lost. I wish I went to an advisor sooner. Now it feels like my edification is stuck at a BA in psychology which will clearly get me no where in life.
The only other thing I ever wanted to do was maybe be a cop and work in the k9 unit. But apparently everyone laughs when I mention the idea of me joining the RCMP. I know it’s a tough job and you are sent all over the country, but it does pay pretty well. The only problem with that is I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t be able to take my two dogs with me wherever I went, and I am not going to give them away by any means.

So I just feel like my life is at a halt, like I can’t go any further, because the obstacles are so high I can’t even look over them much less jump over them.
UGH.

On another note, I’ve moved all my life, I don't think I've lived in one place longer than 2.5 years. As a result, I usually get the itch to move after 2-3 years. Well I’ve been in Winnipeg for over 5 years now and as soon as school is done I’m pretty sure I’m outta here. I thought I'd be moving because I would be going to grad school somewhere else. Now that won't be able to happen I still want to move. It doesn’t matter where to; I Just don’t want to be in Winnipeg anymore. My best guy Friend Kenny is moving to Saskatoon November 1st, my girlfriend Jocelyn moved there in september. Joey and Mel went to Edmonton. Dom might move back to BC. Everyone is leaving. I am more than willing to move to any of those places....Or maybe I'll go back to Toronto where my family is; I still have some friends there. As long as I have a few friends I'd move anywhere, I can build from there. Although I'm fine moving somewhere I know no one, I've done it many times before.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home