Thursday, September 20, 2007

dreams accomplished; dreams to be accomplished.

They say girls dream about their ‘dream wedding’ all their life. I was never one of those girls. My dreams were so different from the rest of the girls I knew. I never played with Barbies, dolls or tea-sets; I never dressed up in pretty dresses and danced around. In fact, I was awful at dancing. I remember joining a dancing team when I was 9 and couldn’t coordinate the moves perfectly for the life of me. Then when we would perform I never got into it and ended up looking like an unhappy rag doll.

Now, I can dance, at least I like to think I can.

I have loved animals all my life. I can still remember when I was 4 or 5 years old...my mom would always be buying me teasets and dolls. I was probably the most disappointed little 5 year old girl you had ever seen whenever that happened. I always wanted stuffed animals, dogs, orca whales or horses. I was definitely one of those little girls who pretended certain objects, bikes, broomsticks etc…were my horse. I would go galloping around and it was grand. I wanted my own horse so badly. I begged and begged my parents for one. Of course, because of their missionary lifestyle it was something I could never have. It was a dream I always wanted to make a reality.

As most of you know orca whales are my favorite mammal ever to exist. Their graceful yet ferocious nature has always intrigued me. When I turned 18 I sponsored my first animal; an Orca whale named Ben. Here is his story. “Ben was a young killer whale who was stranded on the beach of Mangawhai in 1997. He spent the night on the beach where he was looked after a rescue team. While on the beach Ben vocalized frequently in an apparent attempt to communicate with his rescuers or family group off shore. The following morning he was successfully returned to the sea where he joined his family group. He is often seen along the North Island East Coast of New Zealand. He is also occasionally sighted up in the Auckland harbor where Orca go to eat stingrays”.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
When I turned 21 I purchased my very own horse. I have ridden all my life and have quite a bit of horse experience, so it was not a complete impulse buy. I had been part-boarding a horse for a year prior as well. Yet this was the first time I had a chance to make my “little-girl dreams” a reality. My mom was so surprised the day I called her and said “mom I bought a horse”. It’s just something most girls my age don’t have, and for that I’m proud.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I also remember how when I was young my mom would read me stories about children far away and tell me how lucky I was. I would always tell my mom that one day I would adopt one of those children so I could help in some little way. I even picked out names for the boy and girl I would one day adopt.

Someday the time will come when I can call my mom and tell her that I adopted a child from Africa. For now I have a sponsored child who lives in Africa. His name is Solomon. He is 8 years old and is in first grade. Can you believe that 10$ a year can put a child in school? 40$ a month supports Solomon, his mom and dad and two little sisters. I got this great idea to sponsor a child from my friend Dom who also has a sponsored child. After I sponsored Solomon I found out another girlfriend of mine… Christina has a sponsored child too. I really hope that more people can do it too, its only 35$ a month. Unless you sponsor a hope child like I do. Solomon is a hope child which means he is living in a community severely affected by the HIV/AIDS crisis. It’s only 5$ a month extra for a child like him; he’s worth it. All children are.Solomon Engoru, born July 28 1999. His favorite subject is drawing and his chores are babysitting his two little sisters. What a good big brother he is. He is also the only man I want to ever see wearing pink.

ONLY HE can pull pink off like a pro.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
I don’t think I’ll ever dream about my ‘dream wedding’ and how it would unfold, if I ever get married. These are my dreams. As different and strange as they may be, I’ve had them ever since I can remember. Little by little they will be fulfilled. I believe.

7 Comments:

Blogger jerms said...

what country is he from? i am sponsoring a little dude from india. it is crazy to think that so little to us makes a huge difference to them hey?

3:34 PM  
Blogger lionamelie said...

he's from uganda. ironic since Kris was just there. but he's far away from where they were staying. uganda is huge.


so nice to know you're sponsoring a little child too. I know, 40$ a month is nothing and just knowing it means everything to him makes me so happy.

5:11 PM  
Blogger Jessie said...

i'm with you on the dream wedding thing.
overrated.
all you need is family, close friends and a sweet husband...as far as i'm concerned.
thank you for writing about this...about a year ago i really had it on my heart to sponsor a world vision child..and for some reason i got as far as the website and never followed through.
but this totally just re-inspired me.
i am going to mozambique in february, so i figure what better place to sponsor a child from? $35 is as much as i spend on gas in a week.
pretty pathetic.
i'm excited to put my money towards something that actually makes a difference.
sweet.

8:41 PM  
Blogger lionamelie said...

I completely agree, family, good friends and a good man is all I would need too.

I'm so glad my little post re-inspired you to sponsor a little child. World vision isn't too bad, they give the kids 80% of the money you send. I know there are better ones. Kris was telling me about I think its called 'fields of life' but don't quote me on that, and the kids get 98%. Ask him about it, he obviously knows way more. I would have done it through them had I known before I signed up with world vision. And now I've been sponsoring Solomon and I wouldn't give him up. He's so special, just look at his little face. He makes me smile and tear up everytime I see his picture.

you're going to mozambique? thats fantastic. I'm sure you could request to sponsor a child from there, did you know you can also visit your sponsored child, you just have to let world vision know in advance. I'd love to do that someday.

8:40 AM  
Blogger Jessie said...

yeah i am going there for 8 weeks to do my final nursing practicum at the end of february. pretty stoked for sure.
i have a couple weeks to travel once my schooling is done out there and i would definitely consider setting up a meeting with the little girl i sponsored (her name is Rizla, she is 6).
i think that would be pretty powerful.
thanks again.

6:11 PM  
Blogger lionamelie said...

wow. congrats. thats fantastic.
Rizla is a beautiful name.

9:30 AM  
Blogger mr zig said...

I've always wanted a horse as well... - my lifestyle at the moment doesn't really make this possible, but hopefully one day! - It's totally awesome that you bought your own horse at 21! - perhaps when I turn 30 I'll buy a horse -

5:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home